Hi Jinmei,

JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:16:03 +1000, Greg Daley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

This is a bit of a rant.
Please accept my apologies. I'm quite concerned by
the form of the document at the moment, although I
think that the function needs to be available.

No need to apologize, I know the proposed concept described in the
draft is still immature and needs further detailed discussion.  Any
positive or negative comments are appreciated.

I think that the problems with the draft are not
the policies themselves, but the distinction between

"Stateless DHCPv6" and "Stateful IPv6"

Where these are identified synonymously with 3315 (Stateful)
and 3736 (Stateless).

[... snipped]

I now feel I get understanding the point...to make it sure, let me try
to rephrase that.

Assume we have a "stateful" DHCPv6 server (that implements RFC3315)
running.  The server should support both
Solicit/Advertise/Request/Reply(/and Renew) and
Information-request/Reply exchanges.

Then the administrator would send Router Advertisement with the M flag
being ON and the O flag being OFF.  (The O flag is OFF since there is
no server that only supports RFC3736).

Now consider a host that only implements (the client side of) RFC3736,
configures global addresses via stateless address autoconfiguration
(assuming the RAs provide global prefixes for this), and wants to
configure recursive DNS server addresses using RFC3736.  However,
since the O flag is OFF in advertised RAs, the host would not be able
to invoke the RFC3736 procedure and therefore cannot configure DNS
server addresses.  This should be a suboptimal scenario.

Is this what you're mainly worrying about?

I think that's one of the issues.

It leads to the idea that M|O = 1 can be used to invoke Information-Request.

So in this case, the policy shouldn't be called M policy
and O policy since either the M or O flag can be used to
invoke Information-Request.

Alternatively,

(where ==> is implies)

If we assume that the O=1 ==> Information Request is available,
and we assume that M=1 ==> Rebind/Renew/Request is available,

then the flags have distinct functions which are tied to
separate classes of host responses, and the O-Policy, M-Policy
are actually "Information-Request" Policy and "Rebind/Renew/Request"
Policy, (but are unambiguously named with the O and M, so the
names are OK).

I have no problem with this, although it implies that
M=1 and O=0 is not a valid advertisement state.

It's important to relize though that a host doesn't invoke
RFC 3736 procedures though.  The host only cares that it wants to
do an Information-Request.  3736 is an implementation hint for
DHCPv6 servers and relays, not hosts.

Greg