(snip)

>> Sorry, it doesn't clearly answer my question.  So can I rephrase your
>> statement to "3736 is an implementation hint for DHCPv6 servers and
>> relays, not clients."?

> Oh, sorry for the confusion.

> Yes I believe so.

Okay, thanks.

Then my next quick question for clarification is: what led you to that
impression?  In my understanding, RFC3736 is a hint for both clients
and servers on the "stateless" subset service of DHCPv6.  (Also for
relays, but this case is relatively minor since relays are originally
independent from the notion of "stateful" or "stateless").

In fact, all subsections of RFC3736 Section 5 begin with a phrase
like:  "Clients and servers implement the following messages for
stateless DHCP service".

Additionally, a previous discussion in rfc2462bis seems to support my
understanding (i.e., RFC3736 provides a hint for clients as well as
for servers):
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg02494.html
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg02495.html

Note that Ralph (the main editor of RFC3315 and the author of RFC3736)
agreed on my understanding.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

p.s. this may not be the substantial point of you in this thread.  But
you seem to emphasize this point, so I think it might worth clarifying
(whether my understanding is correct or not).