Seems to me that:

If M is set(1), a client able to do stateful, does stateful (or full 3315)
and ignores the O bit. This client can always fall back to stateless if it
receives a NoAddrAvail status for a SOLICIT (as per 17.1.3) and receives no
other ADVERTISEs it can use. Though this behavior isn't clearly spelled out
in 3315 (either in 17.1.2 or 17.1.3) and may be something we want to
consider in a future revision of 3315. Perhaps this behavior could even be
controlled by the O bit - if the O bit is set, the client SHOULD try
stateless (INFORMATION-REQUEST).

If either M or O is set, a client able to do stateless (either full 3315 or
3736), does stateless.

- Bernie