On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Fred Templin wrote:
I would like to see a new Code added to the Parameter Problem Message
Type ([ICMPv6], section 3.4) whereby the end host or a router on the path
can inform the source that unspecified data corruption was encountered
in the packet. The code definition should appear as a new item at the
end of the current list as follows:

3 - unspecified data corruption encountered

FWIW, I don't think this should be added, remembering that we're recycling at DS, because:
1) there doesn't seem to be clear need for it in this spec, and
2) if some other spec needs it, it can just define it

(Because the packets whose ICMP checksum is incorrect are silently discarded, and there is no checksum for the data payload, I can't figure how ICMPv6 could notice any further data corruption in any case, so I see no direct justification in *this* spec.)