> [...]
>

> --Apple-Mail-2--325288981
>

> On Dec 7, 2004, at 17:25, Mark Andrews wrote:
>

> >> Hi,

> >> While I am sure everyone in this discussion has read the DNS text in
> >> the
> >> current draft, here it is just in case:
> >>
> >>     4.4 DNS Issues
> >>
> >>     At the present time AAAA and PTR records for locally assigned
> >> local
> >>     IPv6 addresses are not recommended to be installed in the global
> >> DNS.
> >>     The operational issues relating to this are beyond the scope of
> >> this
> >>     document.
> >>
> >>     For background on this recommendation, the concern about adding
> >> AAAA
> >>     and PTR records to the global DNS for locally assigned local IPv6
> >>     addresses stems from the lack of complete assurance that the
> >> prefixes
> >>     are unique.  There is a small possibility that the same PTR record
> >>     might be registered by two different organizations.  Due to this
> >>     concern, adding AAAA records is thought to be unwise because
> >> matching
> >>     PTR records can not be registered.
> >>
> >> This text (in my view) is more or less equivalent to what is proposed
> >> above.  The text in the draft doesn't use the upper case MUST/SHOULD
> >> language since this part of the document is operational guidelines
> >> and that
> >> language doesn't seem appropriate.  I suppose something with lower
> >> case
> >> must/should would work.
> >>
> >> My personal view is that this is about all we can say now in this
> >> document.  I continue to think that what is needed is a separate
> >> draft that
> >> discusses this topic in detail.  This document might even relax the
> >> recommendation if warranted.  It would be a good place to describe
> >> different approaches to the locally and centrally assigned ULAs as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> Chair hat on:
> >>
> >> The -08 draft is currently in the IESG.  Almost all of the Discuss
> >> votes
> >> have been cleared.  If we can go with the current text it may result
> >> in the
> >> document being approved soon.  The more we try to fine tune it there
> >> is a
> >> risk of further delay.
> >>
> >> It would be good if we could move forward on this document.
> >>
> >> Bob
> >
> >     Which completely ignores the operational problems caused by
> >     leaking reverse lookups.  We know these will exist and we
> >     need to take steps to prevent them.
> >
> >     The only complaint I saw against my proposed text was the level
> >     of proscription against adding AAAA LAU LAs to the global DNS.
> >
> >     Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
> >

> The concern I have with putting these operational recommendations in
> this document is that they are applicable to other scenarios (e.g. net

        We really should be making a *one stop* document.  Sure the
        same problems apply to RFC 1918 and Link Local (both v4 and
        v6).  We may want a overriding document as well but the
        same information with specific domain names needs to in all
        to the above documents.

        Whenever RFC 1918 gets revised (and it is long overdue for
        revision) this sort of thing needs to be added there.  Along
        with filtering out packets with you prefix on entry.

        Most of what is in Section 4 is applicable to RFC 1918.  You
        can connect multiple sites using the address in RFC 1918, you
        just need to ensure that each site chooses a different prefix.

        There really is nothing new with ULAs.  We have been playing
        with this sort of stuff for years in one form or another.
        This document is about collecting what we know should be
        done and putting it on one place with specific details as
        they apply to FC00::/7.

        Thats why I said the DNS section was a "cop out".  The DNS
        information hadn't been collected, distilled and put on
        paper.  I attempted to do that.

        * Don't publish ambigious addresses global.
        * It is unwise (but not wrong) to publish unreachable addresses.
        * Don't let reverse queries for private address space leak.
          That it is common to leak the private net next to you and
          you should stop that as well as what you are using.
        * That you can the apex of the reverse zone for private space
          to create your own deleation tree (e.g. 10.in-addr.arpa,
          168.192.in-addr.arpa) and not have to slave all the reverse
          zones everywhere.

        Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]