Thus spake "Bob Hinden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> At 04:40 AM 01/17/2005, Mark Smith wrote:
> >(as a side note, this is from Rev 8, the nokia web site resolves to an
> >IPv6 address, I don't seem to be able to get to it via my 6to4
> >connection though)
> >
> >    For link-state IGPs, it is suggested that a site utilizing ULA
> >    prefixes be contained either within one IGP domain or area.  By
> >    containing a ULA prefix to a single link-state area or domain, the
> >    distribution of prefixes can be controlled.
> >
> >I think it potentially could cause conflicts with the idea of using the
> >same subnet numbers as those used with a global prefix.
>
> The language "it is suggested" was chosen to allow flexibility.  As you
> point out in large multi domain/area deployments there are reasons to do
it
> differently.

I think removing "area" and just leaving "domain" makes more sense; I can't
see anyone actually deploying different ULA prefixes per area.  The only
possible justification would be different ULAs per business unit (to prepare
for sell-offs) but business unit lines are rarely reflected in topology, in
my experience.

Also, why does this suggestion only apply to link-state IGPs?  What are our
recommendations for people using RIPv6, EIGRPv6, etc?  Or with internal BGP
peering between multiple IGPs?

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin