Bob Hinden wrote:
Mark,

Combining your two emails.

At 04:40 AM 01/17/2005, Mark Smith wrote:

(as a side note, this is from Rev 8, the nokia web site resolves to an
IPv6 address, I don't seem to be able to get to it via my 6to4
connection though)

   For link-state IGPs, it is suggested that a site utilizing ULA
   prefixes be contained either within one IGP domain or area.  By
   containing a ULA prefix to a single link-state area or domain, the
   distribution of prefixes can be controlled.

I think it potentially could cause conflicts with the idea of using the
same subnet numbers as those used with a global prefix.

The language "it is suggested" was chosen to allow flexibility. As you point out in large multi domain/area deployments there are reasons to do it differently.

At 05:09 AM 01/17/2005, Mark Smith wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:10:34 +1030
Mark Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what my opinion is regarding which addressing model would
> be best, and maybe there isn't one "best" one. I suppose both of them
> could be suggested, with the caveats of each of them described.
> Possibly, it may be outside of the scope of this RFC. More discussion
> might help.

Or, to get this ID moving, remove both suggestions, and leave this
issue to be addressed somewhere else.

In my personal view, this would be the best course for now. Later on it would be good to get feedback on how people deploy ULAs in operational networks. For example, this might be a good activity for v6ops. Actually, I would be surprised if there wasn't a lot of interest in tracking deployment and operational experience.

I guess. It's a shame this point didn't come up during Last Call. If we change something other than what the IESG asked us to change, we are on the edge of a process problem. I though that lower-case "suggested" was OK - it's much weaker than an official SHOULD, which would certainly be a mistake for the reasons Mark gave.

   Brian C