Alexandru Petrescu [EMAIL PROTECTED] wote:

> >> Ok, so that's an option.  Another is to just say that when 33
> >> multicast is not available for broadcast, just use ff broadcast.
> >

> > So the obvious question is... how do we know if a receiver on the
> > link cannot use 33 multicast? I dont know of a way for the IP stack
> > to find this out.
>
> Right.  The problem is I don't know about about a way for the IP stack
> to find out that the receiver _does_ use 33 multicast.  It simply
> assumes it.  The RFC assumes it.

I thought the RFC specifies the use of 33:33 multicast rather than assumes
it?

> > But assuming that we can and do detect such a reciever then all
> > multicast RA/ND messages from a router would then have to use ff
> > broadcast?
>
> No no, only the RA and NA messages that are intended to be
> broadcasted,
> and broadcasted to the complete set of members, not just some group
> address derived from a specific MAC address.
>
> For example, RAs can be sent to either 33:33::1 or to specific MAC
> addresses too.  Those that can be sent to 33:33::1 should be
> able to be
> sent to all-ff too.  It's just a change in notation.  There
> is no change
> in scalability or power consumption.

Ok, this is a superfluous argument but if the router *could* detect a non
33:33 capable node on it's link it would have to either 1) send all
multicasted RA/ND messages to the all ff address (so that the non 33:33 node
can see them) or 2) unicast the multicasted RA/ND messages in duplicate to
the non 33:33 node.

> > Perhaps it would be simpler just to add some text saying that
> > Ethernet NICs that do not support 33 multicast may not (cannot?) be
> > able to support v6?
>
> "cannot" is too strict.  IPv6 is a big thing.  Only a certain form of
> easy stateless autoconf is not supported if the 33 multicast is not
> supported.  If a non-33 host sends a RS to a pre-configured
> router then
> that host does receive a directed RA.

I agree "cannot" is too strong. However, the normal (according to RFC 2461)
RA response to a RS is sent to the all nodes multicast address (FF02::1 i.e.
33:33::1) rather than the specific MAC address of the soliciting node.
Although most implementations may allow you to change this to a unicast
response, I'm fairly sure the default settings will be for a multicast
response.

Martin