Dear all,

  At the IETF meeting in Minneapolis, I talked about the URI format for
scoped addresses, described in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fenner-literal-zone-01.txt

  I had 3 questions prepared, but the time didn't really allow for
asking them in a sensible way (and Dave Thaler pointed out a pre-
question).  So:

0. Should we solve this problem at all?

   The problem is of reaching [fe80::cafe:f00d] via a URI from a
   system attached to multiple links.  (note that loopback counts
   as a link on some implementations.)  The URI literal format (RFC
   2732) didn't address this issue, so when RFC 3986 integrated this
   format it didn't address it either.  The current proposal is to
   use the expansion literal format from RFC 3986, to allow a URI like
   http://[v6.fe80::cafe:f00d_de0]/ .

   If the answer is yes, then the question of a delimiter comes up.
   Percent, as the scoping architecture uses, is problematic because
   percent is such a special character in URIs.

1. Should we proceed using "_" (or some other non-percent character)?

   "_" fits within the current RFC 3986 grammar for the expansion of the
   literal format (the grammar basically reduces to the regexp
   \[v[0-9A-Fa-f]+\.[-0-9A-Za-z._~!$&'()*+,;=:]+\])

   Note that I picked "_" after going through the ipng mailing list
   archives for the discussion about the scope zone format and
   judging that "_" had about the same amount of support as "%" in
   that discussion.  I'm not wedded to it; if we can come to
   consensus on another character that is allowed by the grammar
   I'll be happy.

        If so, how should this update the scoping architecture draft?
        E.g., should it talk about using "_" as a seperator or just
        leave that to the literal URI format?

2. If not, should we proceed using "%25"?

   This is a percent-encoded percent, and is the only way that
   a percent may appear in a URI.  However, even this is not allowed
   by the current grammar, so this would require an update to the
   full standard RFC 3986.

3. If not, should we proceed using "%"?

   A simple percent as delimiter matches with the scoping arch
   spec, but is even more problematic for URIs, since percents
   have always been so special in URIs.  Even if we revised the
   full standard RFC 3986, it's not clear that parsers would all
   be properly revised (especially if the zone ID is something
   like "de0" - "%de0" could be a percent-encoded 0xde followed
   by a zero).

My personal opinions are that we should proceed using "_" (or
some other character), or decide that it's not important
enough.  It's worth solving if we can come to consensus on
a lightweight solution; if we decide that we need to update
RFC 3986 then I think the right path is to abandon the work.
(That summarizes as "0. Yes, 1. Yes, 2. No, 3. No")

Any other input?

Thanks,
  Bill