Hi,

I would like to second the point Jinmei made, that we had something very close to this discussion about a year ago.

Also, I am not sure I understand what the problem is regarding knowing when to try using DHCPv6. For practical purposes, if there isn't a router present (indicated by the RAs it sends) is very unlikely that there will be a DHCPv6 server either (or it won't be reachable because the router is down). If the "m" and/or "o" bits are set in a RA, it is a pretty good hint that a host might try to use DHCPv6 and see what it gets. If the "m" or "o" bits are not set, then it's a pretty good hint that there isn't much sense in trying to use DHCPv6.

Is something else needed?

Bob