On 26-mei-2005, at 22:24, da Silva, Ron wrote:

This seems way to complicated though, and it would be much more
deterministic for a CM to simply do #4 in all cases which would make the
M/O bits useless.

You know what's really deterministic? Manual configuration.

There is a baby in this bath water...

The problem with having different bits indicate different capabilities is that you get lots of permutations. So when a significant number of those don't make sense, having individual bits probably isn't the right choice.

To me, assuming the current specs, the following would make sense:

Configured for always-full-DHCPv6 on this interface? -> yes -> do full DHCPv6

 no

Timeout waiting for RAs? -> yes -> do full DHCPv6

 no

M bit set or no prefixes with AAC set? -> yes -> do full DHCPv6

 no

O bit set or always-stateless-DHCPv6 on this if? -> yes -> stateless DHCPv6

A stateless DHCPv6-only client would probably just look at the O bit and not do stateless DHCPv6 if just the M bit is set.

Anyone believe that, with current knowledge and experience, implementing the above would be a bad idea?

Please realize that even if something isn't useful in _your_ use case, that doesn't mean it's never useful. It's very important that people can open up their laptops, PDAs, smartphones and whathever, and it can talk to the local network _without_ _special_ _configuration_. I.e., I want to be able to bring my laptop to work where DHCPv6 is the only game in town, check my mail using a public hotspot over coffee with just stateless autoconfig and then go home and connect to my broadband connection using whatever comes out of the wall. And all this without having to change any settings.