Also, the servers aren't impacted by the M/O bits. They don't use them.

Though changing the DHCPv6 protocol as we've contemplated, would impact
the servers and the clients.

But if you're currently deploying with either the M set or the O set,
there is no problem. Sure, if a client talks to a new server it might
get other configuration parameters in an Advertise, but I doubt that
would cause it to fail (it would likely just ignore the parameters).

The only situation where these changes would impact clients is if a new
client communicates with an old server. Since the old server won't send
other configuration parameters. So, yes the servers would need to be
upgraded in order to use newer clients.

- Bernie