On May 27, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Bernie Volz (volz) wrote:
If people are really concerned about this, we can always add a DHCPv6
option to the Solicit that tells the server "I'm a new client and am
able to receive other configuration parameters even if you're not going
to give me any addresses." Thus, the old servers would ignore this
option and new servers would know that it is OK to do this.

DHCPv6 is not a full standard. I don't think it's widely deployed at this point. I would rather take the risk, as you suggest, than add an extra protocol to negotiate whether we can do this - it's extra logic in the server that will be needed for zero clients two years from now - just another piece of unused code that could be buggy, because it's never used, and thus could be an avenue of attack for some enterprising young script kiddie.

The time to get conservative about breaking clients by sending them unexpected responses will come, but it hasn't come yet, IMHO. I haven't heard anything to contradict this - has anyone else?