On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:00:40 -0700
Fred Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In my personal view, networks like this are a fact of life. One
> frequently is handed things by disparate people with disparate
> budgets, responsibilities, and requirements. For example, perhaps IT
> provides the switch, the router is what the managed-service ISP
> installed several years ago and still works, and the servers are what
> the department bought for this nifty-keeno application they're in the
> process of installing.

I see above scenario possibly becoming quite common in the near future
in a residential/SOHO scenario.

GigE NICs and switches are dramatically coming down in price, and are
commonly available in "commodity" type computer and office shops, where
"joe six pack" also goes to buy his PC supplies.

While the low end GigE switches don't seem to support jumbo frames yet,
I doubt it will be long before they do. When jumbo frame capable
commodity switches become available, their owners are unlikely to also
be prepared to throw away their still quite capable ADSL/Cable router,
yet will be disappointed when they aren't able to take advantage of the
jumbo frame performance they've just spent money on between the nodes
they've just installed GigE NICs in.

Regards,
Mark.