On 25-jul-2005, at 12:02, Ryota Hirose wrote:

In my personal view, having devices on shared media with different MTU's is
just a bad idea.

I think so, but in a real world, such bad ideas are often accepted.

:-)

Thinking a bit more about this: ethernet rules the world right now, and I see few competitors on the horizon. Although an ethernet switch detects attachment to a port and even negotiates a few capabilities, there is no mechanism to furter distribute the information learned that way (if any), so the only way to be certain that all systems connected to an ethernet use the same MTU is by observing the 30 year old 1500 byte maximum, or by having an administrator police the MTU of all attached devices. In other words: the current situation, where jumboframe deployment is negligible.

I think we have to turn this around and acknowledge that having a fixed MTU on any network (whatever the layer) stifles progress so we should embrace MTU diversity.