> If you enable jumbo frames on end-nodes without a layer 2 infrastructure
> that supports them, then you get what you deserve - a network that won't
> work. The solution of course is go back to standard size frames or buy
> jumbo capable layer 2 infrastructure and enable it. I think it's really
> as simple as that.
>
> Don't fall into the trap of assuming the worst case scenario will be the
> common one. I think the common one is that people who specifically buy
> _and want to enable_ jumbo frame capable end-nodes will also make sure
> they buy jumbo frame capable layer 2 infrastructure.

If you're going to require admins enabling jumbograms on their network,
it's never going to happen.  People are just going to avoid enabling it
because when you do everything breaks.  As it stands today the general
consensus is "disable jumbograms, coz even if you manage to get it all
working today, something will change tomorrow and you'll have a nasty
problem to fix".

If a simple solution can be found to having one link support multiple
MTU's then thats where I think we should be heading :)  If one can't be
found, then we should investigate what we can do to make this as easy as
possible for end users.