Hi Mohacsi, Greg,

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:48:11 +0200 (CEST)
Mohacsi Janos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Mark Smith wrote:
>
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:48:42 +1000
> > Greg Daley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>

> > <snip>
> >

> >> At the moment there's no security for MLD, but the risk is
> >> limited to link-local addresses which are not vulnerable to
> >> off-link attacks.
> >>

> > Until malware, delivered as an email payload or via a socially
> > engineered HTTP download, or some other "higher-than-layer-3/4" method
> > takes advantage of that capability to discover nodes, and then do what
> > ever it wants to them e.g. DoS them, or "call home" and then act as a
> > relay betweem the offsite node and these link-local devices etc.
> >
> > I don't think the "on-link" limitation is all that much of one
> > unfortunately.
>
> Agree, but we should not destroy this "on-link" limitation...

I also agree with that.

One thing I've realised overnight is that most "entities" (animals,
miltary, etc.) that use hiding as a security method don't have it as
their only security method. They usually use it as a first line of
defence, albeit not a very strong one. It might work, and if it does,
that's all well and good. If it doesn't, they have at least one or more
much more secondary security methods e.g. being able to run away
very quickly.

Learning from that example, it probably means that while the hiding
property of IPv6 addressing is useful, it isn't all that strong a
security mechanism, and in particular, shouldn't be the only one relied
on. Therefore, while I certainly think we should try to preserve it in Ipv6, we
shouldn't necessarily blindly think that if it is somewhat easily
overcome (e.g., my example from above), we have a serious problem. Other
techniques, such as host based firewalling for example, need to be in
place if the hiding measures are overcome.

Regards,
Mark.