Hi,

In my opinion SLP has some issues to be deployed, at least it has for our
case when we worked in Tunnel End Point discovery (see section 3.5).
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc-03.txt

A more complete version is available at
http://www.consulintel.euro6ix.org/ietf/draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc-pre-
03.txt

Also, a possible solution:
http://www.consulintel.euro6ix.org/ietf/draft-palet-v6ops-solution-tun-auto-
disc-01.txt

I think that we worked out for TEP discovery could also be applicable for
the discovery of other services.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Mark Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Responder a: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Fecha: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:13:39 +0930
> Para: "Abhijit Chaudhary (abchaudh)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> CC: "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
> Asunto: Re: IPv6 Service Discovery
>
> Hi Abhijit,
>
> I don't know all that much about how it operates however, I think that
> is what "SLP - Service Location Protocol" is designed for. From RFC2608
> -
>
> "  The Service Location Protocol provides a scalable framework for the
>    discovery and selection of network services.  Using this protocol,
>    computers using the Internet need little or no static configuration
>    of network services for network based applications.  This is
>    especially important as computers become more portable, and users
>    less tolerant or able to fulfill the demands of network system
>    administration."
>
> I don't know enough about it to say whether it allows for or needs to be
> updated to support IPv6.
>
> On a related note, I'd be curious to know if anybody is updating NetBIOS
> over IP / CIFS to support IPv6. I'd think that NetBIOS / CIFS file and
> print sharing probably carries more data on a daily basis than any other
> IPv4 carried protocol. Maybe that is one cause for people not
> introducing IPv6 to their enterprise networks - their most commonly used
> application protocol isn't supported over it.
>
> Regards,
> Mark.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Information available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that
information, including attached files, is prohibited.