Hi Tim,

timothy enos wrote:
[cut]
In that case, I think we
should try to look for possible solutions. Some applications might
want to specify their own particular behaviour, but I see several
reasons why an administrator may want to specify a default.

Using DHCP may be one solution. The only alternative available today,
is to log into every single host and run each host's OS specific
commands to change the policy. This might work for hosts that are
centrally administrated at that site. It would not work for hosts
visiting that network or under different management.

A possibility for the future (realizing it does not presently exist)
seems to be the creation of a new Router Advertisement option. This
could be something that would be received and used by clients of both
DHCPv6 and SLAC.

Using DHCP to distribute RFC 3484 address selection policies would seem
to work for DHCP clients, yet not for SLAC clients.

I'd guess that it may not be necessary to define a new ND option to
manage the preferences of prefixes, as there are 37 bits unallocated
in the Prefix Information Option (32 bit Reserved2 field + remnant of
Reserved1 field) [RFC3775 S7.2,RFC2461 S4.6.2].

I'd suggest that if preferences are all that's needed, then the
function matches that for which the options are used now.

Greg