There are many networks that devices do not through routers. So asking the
router for their addresses is not sufficient.

-----Original Message-----
From: Pekka Savola [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 4:38
To: Pashby, Ronald W CTR NSWCDD-B35
Cc: Jari Arkko; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Solicit comments on
draft-pashby-ipv6-network-discovery-00.txt

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Pashby, Ronald W CTR NSWCDD-B35 wrote:
>> 2) Requiring all nodes implement Inverse Neighbor Discover with the
>> addidtion of the response holdoff timer.
>>
> The feature exists. But an all-nodes mandatory implementation
> requirement is additional functionality, and I'm not sure
> there's justification for that yet - but I admit that I did not
> follow the discussion in the last meeting about this, so
> I may be missing something. One approach would be
> to publish INDbis spec, but not make it mandatory for
> everyone.

As Jari said, I do not think adding mandatory-to-implement mechanisms
solves the problem.  A solution already exists (to a degree), but the
vendors have voted with their feet (i.e., nobody actually wants the
feature).

In more general, I do not see sufficiently strong justification for
this approach.  A typical operational approach in scenarios like these
is to collect the source IP addresses which send traffic at routers
(e.g., with logging access lists or netflow).

That approach can reliably identify any active node in the network --
mechanisms which rely on active probing (e.g., pings) will never be
able to find all the nodes anyway (e.g., because the hosts may filter
out pings in their local firewalls).

So, if you'd want to pursue the work on discovering the hosts in the
network, I'd put a lot more emphasis on describing why exactly this is
needed ("problem statement") and particularly why the existing
operational techniques are not sufficient.