Francis,

On Mon 26 Sep '05 at 10:46 Francis Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  In your previous mail you wrote:
>
>    Couldn't find this being mentioned before, but I think it would be
> preferable
>    if this section:
>
>    ,----
>    | 3.  Routing Considerations
>    |    Keyed Hash Identifiers are designed to serve as identifiers rather
>    |    than locators.  Therefore, routers SHOULD NOT forward any packets
>    |    containing a KHI as a source or a destination address.  If the
>    |    destination address is a KHI but the source address is a valid
>    |    unicast source address, an ICMP Destination Unreachable,
>    |    Administratively Prohibited message MAY be generated.
>    |    Note that while KHIs are designed to be non-routable at the IP layer,
>    |    there are ongoing research efforts for creating overlay routing for
>    |    these kinds of identifiers.  For example, the Host Identity
>    |    Indirection Infrastructure (Hi3) proposal outlines a way for using a
>    |    Distributed Hash Table to forward HIP packets based on the Host
>    |    Identity Tag.
>    `----
>
>    was rewritten a lot more like RFC3849 (IPv6 Docu Prefix), Section 3
>    Operational Implications.
>
> => IMHO you'd like to have a more concrete operational recommendation.

Yes, but I'd meant as opposed to a mandate that "routers SHOULD NOT
forward"...

I'd think that most routers currently only know about link-local, multicast,
unspecified and loop-back addresses in the forwarding path.

RFC3849 doesn't mention routers, i.e. it's perfectly valid for a router to
forward a packet with a src/dst within the prefix. The onus is on the operator
to filter the prefix.

A.

--
Alun Evans