Selon Basavaraj Patil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Inline:
>

> On 8/8/06 10:54 AM, "ext Pars Mutaf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >> From your draft:
> >
> >    |Routers that implement the current recommendations would send the
> >    |periodic multicast router advertisements every 30 minutes, which can
> >    |be a significant problem in mobile/cellular network environments.
> >
> > Why do you think 1 multicast RA per 30 minutes is a significant problem
> > for a host? Personally, I would think that 1 RA per 30 mins has a
> > negligible impact on energy cost. 30 minutes is really longtime IMHO.
>
> So if you consider for example a GGSN which may have several hundred
> thousand hosts attached to it (GGSN the AR for all these hosts), having to
> send a periodic RA to all these hosts is an expense with no real benefit.
> In order to deliver the RA, the host has to be paged, radio resources
> allocated and a traffic channel established to deliver the RA.
>
> So what is the benefit of doing this operation? I agree that waking up a
> host every 30 minutes to deliver an RA is not a significant drain on the
> battery, but it is a factor. Additionally the fact that you have to deliver
> the RA as a unicast message to a very large number of hosts is a waste of
> the radio resources. Having a host establish a traffic channel only for the
> purpose of receiving the periodic RA is sub-optimal. Why have a specific
> interval (MAX) of 30 minutes only? Why not let it be 180 mins or 240 mins?
> 30 Mins is a value IMO which is as random as choosing 180, 240 or something
> else.

OK. Flooding the network with RA messages unicasted to
several hundred thousands hosts (wow!) "at the same time"
is a significant problem.

But, I think you will agree, the problem is not the period
of RAs. 30 or 180 minutes later you will have the same
serious problem.

Your subnet is too large IMHO.

Regards,
pars