On 8/8/06, Francis Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 In your previous mail you wrote:

  On 8/8/06, Francis Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  >  In your previous mail you wrote:
  >
  >   The I-D:
  >   draft-madanapalli-ipv6-periodic-rtr-advts-00.txt
  >   proposes several changes to ND procedures and parameters.
  >
  > => I strongly object not about the document itself but about its
  > principle because IMHO the link-layer should adapt, not the network layer.

  Will you please clarify this?

=> is it not clear enough? The problem is a link one so the solution
should be found in link device, not by changing IPv6.

We are not solving a link layer problem here. It is network layer
problem. Problems are the short interval between periodic multicast
RAs and an MN currently does not solicit for RAs rather depends on
periodic RS to update the default router lifetime.

Nonetheless, you can argue that the current specified values for
these are good enough, which can be debated.

  If the network layer is sending some packets to the MN, how can the
  link layer adapts in this case. The link layer either can drop/delay the
  packets but purpose of sending an RAs to the hosts is lost.

=> IMHO the best idea to solve this class of issues is in
draft-ietf-dna-frd-01.txt (i.e., cache the last RA in the AP).

I am one of the contributors for this draft; and I think FRD
is unrelated to our context. FRD expedite the RA acquisition
and does not deal with periodic multicast RAs.

  The draft aims to reduce the dependency on the periodic RAs for the
  mobile nodes, and hence the benifits of power and bandwidth saving.

=> this is a problem of the link dormant mode facility so it should
*not* be solved by changing the network protocol.

Link layers are already dealing with dormant mode, but network layer
may be disturbing this mode; so the draft is proposing few changes to
the network layer.

Thanks,
Syam

Regards