>From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2006/09/14 Thu PM 02:26:39 CDT
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Endianness of IPv6 and payloads

>On 13-sep-2006, at 20:15, Bob Hinden wrote:
>
>> In my personal view, while this is a nice theoretical problem, no
>> evidence has been presented that anyone building an implementation
>> is confused about it.  For example, were there ever any
>> interoperability problems because someone did this wrong?  Common
>> sense would indicate that IPv6 has the same "endianness" as IPv4.
>
>> I have hard time understanding why documenting this further this
>> would be a good use of anyone's time (i.e., individuals, IPv6 w.g.,
>> ADs, IETF, RFC-Editor, ....).
>
>Well, I think it's a pretty big oversight that this was never
>standardized in any of the IPv6 RFCs. Now obviously there are many
>interoperable implementations so it doesn't matter in the real world,
>but that's no reason to let this slide.
>
>I can tell you from experience that showing up for interop testing
>after implementing some specification and seeing that the other side
>uses the opposite byte ordering is no fun. And then arguing with the
>people who wrote the spec about whose interpretation is the correct
>one is even less fun.

Given the interoperability issues cited by some, and the absence of
standardization cited by others, I'd agree that IPv6 "endianness" ought to be
standardized.

While one can likely logically infer that IPv6 is big-endian, codifying it
should eliminate doubt (leaving little to no room for debate/confusion, ala RFC
791, Appendix B for IPv4).

Just my two cents...

Best regards,

Tim