Good afternoon all. With all due deference and respect to my more senior IETF
colleagues (participating in this thread and in the group at large):

        IETF IPv6 Mailing List <ipv6@ietf.org>
>Subject: Re: Endianness of IPv6 and payloads

>On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, Eric Klein wrote:
>> On September 16, 2006 00:26 Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
>>> On the other hand, is it good for a standards organization to leave
>>> important technical details unspecified and assume tradition and
>>> interoperability testing will take care of the difference?

IMO it is not good to make such assumptions. In this case it seems clear that
such assumptions have not to date taken care of the difference.

>> I think not, real question is do we want implicit or explicit standards? I
>> vote for explicit

I vote for an explicit standard in this case.

>No, the real question is, "how do we want the spend the time and
>energy in the IETF?", in other words, is this obvious enough that
>making explicit guidance isn't worth our time (as there is probably a
>lot of other things that the IETF and its participants could be
>doing).

It would seem a fairly simple yet worthwhile thing to standardize the
endianness of IPv6 (both headers and payload for that matter). Is it the
majority view that we should do this?

Best Regards all,

Tim
Rom 8:28