At 10:43 AM -0800 1/12/07, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>I am really confused here.
>
>First, I know that multicast has a base in the IETF. Is there at this point
>any real prospect of widespread use? Multicast violates the principle of
>keeping the core of the Internet as simple and unchanging as possible.
>Multicast is also the amplification mechanism to beat all amplification
>mechanisms.

There is ongoing (okay, possibly petering out) discussion on the NANOG list at
the moment on this topic, related to "internet video" (the NANOG archives
are at http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/ .  The threads are
"Network end users to pull down 2 gig" and
"Internet Video: The Next Wave of Massive Disruption to the US Peering
Ecosystem".)

One of the points made early on by Sean Donelan is that there isn't a
bright line here where multicast is useful above and isn't useful below.
To quote one of his points:

Multicast doesn't have to be real-time. If you collect interested subscribers
over a longer time period, e.g. scheduled downloads over the next hour, day,
week, month, you can aggregate more multicast receivers through the same
stream. TiVo collects its content using a broadcast schedule.

I believe you will find the rest of the thread gives an interesting set of
perspectives
on how multicast fits in among other technologies; particularly, it gives you a
sense of how one operational community might use to smooth spikes in usage.

                                        Ted