Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> I still don't understand what the plan is.
>
> There is a lot of Internet broadband content distribution
> going on today. I do not see where this proposal fits in.

"Content Distribution" in the form of Akamai and other such solutions
are GREAT for Big Companies(tm).

But Big Companies(tm) are not the only users of the Internet!

Multicast allows EVERY user of the Internet to very easily use a small
amount of bandwidth to send one single copy into the Internet and have
tens of thousands of other users enjoy it.

You could argue "just upload your video's up to youtube". Some users
don't want their works to be owned by third parties, some people want to
provide it in different formats. The Internet is about freedom, freedom
in what you do and how you do it. Having multicast available to end
users gives extra freedom to the users of the Internet.

Multicast will allow that for anything without having to play around in
the application stack and having to make application/protocol specific
caches for every sort of application. Of course we could just do
everything over HTTP, but hey where is the fun in that?

Also, what is the largest cost for ISP's anyway associated by those
traffic hogs like P2P? They are transmitting the same kind of data over
and over over their transit links.

Multicast would solve that as the data is only sent ones and fanned out
to the end users that want it. Read: your data goes over the transit
once, and only once: that actually saves money... and that is where one
of the catches lies, do transit providers want ISP's to save money!? :)

For warez-content distribution it seems that NNTP is nowadays the clear
winner anyway, with companies solely dedicated to providing access to
the TeraBytes of "NNTP Caches" that they have set up.

The big problem with multicast of course is the configuration of it and
the trust one has to have in its peers, as it can create a lot of havoc
when something goes bad, see for nice cruel bedtime horror stories the
various mbone,m6bone etc lists ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen

--
Additional lesson on how to send bypass greylists, especially:
telnet sa.dom.com 25
EHLO purgatory.unfix.org
250-sa.dom.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 102400000
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
MAIL FROM: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
250 2.1.0 Ok
RCPT TO: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
450 4.7.1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted for 1
minutes

And then send your mail ;)