Pars,

Various possible DNS designs are possible. However,
I want to go back to your suggestion that multicasting
will cause significant inefficiencies when running over
WiMax and 802.16.

It might, indeed -- Christian's note about the high
speed wireless designs was right on. But the question
is whether it will actually be the case for WiMax as
it is being defined and used. As you may know, there has
been active work in the 16ng working group during the
summer and autumn, and that has resulted in a
number of changes to the way that people originally
planned to run this. In particular, the WG has
considered issues relating to waking up dormant
hosts. My understanding is that their current
designs do NOT have that problem. For instance,
they plan to recommend a point to point like link
model where the host's ND or other link local
multicast traffic does not impact other hosts.
And there is a plan on employing RFC 4541 (MLD
snooping) where 802.16 is run as an Ethernet.
As a result, it seems fairly effective in ensuring
that multicast does not wake up unnecessary
neighbors. It does not solve all problems -- if
you were to run LLMNR over it you would still
be sending to every node, because only one
multicast address is used. But then again,
I'm not sure how big practical problem this
is. I hope the providers are not setting up
their 802.16 networks so that people can
find printer.local in the Tokyo subnet...

Anyway, if we think of the hash approach independently
of your 802.16 use case, I think there are still several
significant problems. As others have mentioned, you
still need something that allows ND to work, and it,
in turn is based on multicast at IP level. Perhaps
more fundamentally, I think a local unmanaged naming
system should be able to live with collisions. As your
scheme combines the name space to the IP space
this becomes very difficult. For starters, to allow
multiple similar names, you would have to disable
DAD and change ND, and I suspect it would not work
with current TCP and applications. Also, there
are operational issues such as inability to search
except for exact match.

Jari