> I have seen users, with broken cell phones, or who have lost their
> phone. They are simply in trouble. They have hard time recovering the
cell
> phone numbers of their friends, colleagues, family members etc.

Do you mean that the only copy of their address book was inside their
cell phone? If that is the case, they will indeed have a hard time
retrieving all these numbers. On the other hand, there are many ways to
synchronize a cell phone with a PC or a server that keeps a safe copy.
You can even use vCards (RFC2426) do describe these entries in a
standardized way.

> I have seen users (including myself) exchanging phone numbers in
> ridiculous ways. The first number is read to the other user, and the
> other user returns his/her number via the cellular network. It should
be
> noted that this also requires short distance user contact. If the
other user
> is 100 meters away, you see each other but you are in a crowded place
and
> you can't reach each other, you simply cannot communicate. You have
> cellular phones but are unable to communicate.

That's ridiculous indeed, when you could simply attach vCard to an
e-mail. Not to mention publishing it in a web page, or make it available
to your friends in an instant-messaging service.

The problems that you describe hardly seem related to server-less name
resolution in a local network!

-- Christian Huitema