Julien Laganier writes:
> It's not the problem of the OS or its ABI compatibility
> if you insist on linking software compiled on the new
> OS with outdated libraries supporting the old OS.

It doesn't matter much whose fault it is; it fails, it fails
"silently" (underlying attempts at interface versioning won't help
this specific problem), and it blows away the application.

> It's the probelm of your third party software vendor:
> You should just ask straight to him for new versions
> of these libraries compiled on the new system.

Why should we require that third party software vendors recompile in
order to have their software continue working on new systems?  Isn't
avoiding that problem exactly the point of having ABI compatibility?

We end up in the strange position where old third-party applications
continue to work, but old third-party libraries may fail depending on
the vintage of the application that uses them.

I'm not sure I understand why ABI compatibility should extend to
"applications" alone and not specifically to libraries.  Are libraries
less interesting or easier to recompile?

(It seems to me that a new "AI_EXTPRESENT" entry in ai_flags would do
the trick, though, in all cases other than attempted structure copies
of 'addrinfo'.)