On 14-Jun-2007, at 14:09, james woodyatt wrote:

On Jun 14, 2007, at 02:56, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

Just avoiding ANY collision risk. VERY VERY VERY LOW is not enough for them.

My attitude is that IETF should tell them that's THEIR problem, not OURS. Has the operator community explained why the odds of a collision in a 2^40 address space pose an unacceptable risk to them, which they can't mitigate without the participation of an Internet Society organization?

If you're an operator, providing IPv6 access and presumably globally- unique, globally-reachable address space to customers, why is it necessary to use private address space to number your infrastructure? You already have PI address space. Isn't it easier just to assign some of that space for internal use (as the harmonised bits of the RIR IPv6 allocation policy allows, I think) than to bother with ULA?

With IPv4, motivations of cost/scarcity might induce ISPs to use RFC 1918 addresses to number interfaces which don't require global reachability. Those motivations surely don't exist with IPv6.

Perhaps by "operator" you meant something other than "ISP", Jordi?

Joe