> In my opinion, this means that the router of the future needs
> to look a little different, and this has implications for
> other subsystems.  Much of this could conceivably be hidden
> with DNS,

Since when do IP networks require DNS to function. We run a global IPv4
network with over 10,000 customer sites in over 20 countries, and there
is virtually no DNS on this network at all. After all, it's an IP
network, i.e. its job is forwarding IP packets.

As to why DNS is not used, it has something to do with unneccesarily
trusting third parties to figure out your packet destinations and the
added complexity of DNS. It turns out to be simpler and more flexible to
just use IP addresses directly. If you need to fail-over communications
to a disaster-recovery site, or merely to a backup server, you can
configure two or four IP addresses in the application and let the app
sort out where to send packets.

DNS should not be overloaded with so many new functions that it becomes
a requirement of running an IP network.

--Michael Dillon