no renumbering event is "too hard" in isolation ......

 BGP peers, MRTG/CRICKET monitoring, AAAA/ACL configs, syslog all come to mind
 as issues/considerations for router renumbering.

 and remember tht the router is the distribution engine.... of "the set
 of prefixes in use with a set of tags (global, deprecated, etc)

 one has to be very careful about "catch22 situations, deprecating the
 in use prefixes before the new prefixes are in use.

 operationally, renumbering DNS/DHCP servers is a whole lot easier.

--bill

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 10:41:33AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

>       I would have thought that router renumbering should be no
>       harder that host renumbering.  Essentially all you are
>       changing is the higher (/48 normally) prefix bits.  All
>       that is required is a method to distribute the set of
>       prefixes in use with a set of tags (global, deprecated,
>       ula, advertise in RA, etc.).
>
>       Everything else should flow from that set.  Firewall rules
>       should be using that information as it really doesn't matter
>       which global prefix a host uses to talk to the world.  They
>       are all essentially equal.
>
>       I may we be showing my ignorance here but I don't believe
>       that this really is a "to hard" job.
>
>       Mark
>
> > Jeroen Massar wrote:
> >
> > > The above hosts are Internet connected and most likely will thus also
> > > end up
> > > talking to the Internet at one point or another. I can thus only guess
> > > that
> > > they will be wanting to fully connect to the Internet one day and the
> > > generic solution to that problem is NAT. We wanted to get rid of NAT for
> > > IPv6. If NAT is again being done for IPv6 then we can just as well give up
> > > and just keep on using IPv4 as there really is not a single advantage then
> > > anymore to IPv6.
> > >

> > I think what we wanted to get rid of in IPv6 was one-to-many NAT, also
> > know as PAT (among other names).  In IPv6, we can stick to one-to-one
> > NAT, which eliminates most of the nastiness we associate with NAT in
> > today's IPv4 world.
> >
> > > But see below for a scenario that might have actual merit here.
> > >

> > > **SCENARIO**
> > > One possible scenario could maybe be: use ULA-C local in your local site,
> > > use global (PA) addresses from the upstream ISP, from whom you get a /48
> > > too, thus the number plan is the same, just different first 48 bits. Every
> > > host gets a ULA and a PA address. The PA address might change when
> > > changing
> > > ISP. RFC3484 and related work can be used to configure preferring what
> > > address to use. Then you never need to reconfigure your local network and
> > > local addresses are globally unique and can use the Internet.
> > >
> > > The big thing there is though: configure your firewalls correctly as the
> > > public addresses do also allow access to everything.
> > >
> > I don't think routers are at the point yet where you can easily renumber
> > your routers' interfaces when your PA addresses change.  As a result,
> > networks wanting to avoid the pain of renumbering, but who don't qualify
> > for PI and a global routing slot, might want to do something similar:
> >
> > Say a network gets a ULA-C block, and numbers everything on their
> > network out of that block.  They later connect to the Internet, and get
> > a PA block from their upstream, and configure it on their border
> > routers.  To avoid reconfiguring all their routers every time they
> > change upstreams, they configure one-to-one NAT on their border routers,
> [...]

--bill