On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:16:15 -0700
james woodyatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2007, at 11:00, Mark Smith wrote:
> >
> > Getting rid of PAT doesn't eliminate a number of other problems that
> > NAT creates, which Keith Moore has documented here :
> >
> > http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/what-nats-break.html
>
> I'd be more sympathetic to arguments like this if we RFC 4864 didn't
> insist on recommending  the deployment of stateful packet filters in
> IPv6 that break most of the things NAT breaks in IPv4.

How does a statefule firewall, present on the end-node itself, cause
these problems ? It seems to me that you're making the assumption that
the only scenario IPv6 will be deployed in is one where end-nodes
always have an upstream stateful firewalling device.

That assumption already isn't true now in IPv4 (one example being this
PC) and I think is even more unlikely to be with IPv6. I think any
vendor who produces Internet capable devices (PCs, OSes, mobile phones,
musical keyboards (Internet capable ones do already exist)) that don't
assume they could be attached directly to the wide open Internet are
unlikely to have much success with their product.

(I'm aware of the IPv6 CPE design work that's going on, and
have been meaning to point out whether that work should be completely
based on the assumption of an upstream firewalling device (have been a
bit time short recently). It's certainly a feasible scenario. However I
think we'd probably be being a bit short sighted if we assumed that
that is the only IPv6 deployment scenario, and I think that eventually
it's probably going to be more likely an exception rather than a rule -
if all the devices are looking after themselves independantly, adding
another protection device upstream in the network doesn't add all that
much additional security value, compared to the costs, financial and
technical, it incurs.)