Templin, Fred L wrote:
> Jeroen,
>
> Touching on just one aspect of your thoughtul post:
>
>>> DNS is an integral part of addressing and if
>>> we're going to move forward with ULA-C as delegated
>> addressing then let
>>> us move forward with addressing in its entirety.
>> So you want a disconnected address space which gets connected to the
>> Internet? Sorry, but that more or less really implies NAT.
>
> I wouldn't call it a "disconnected address space which gets
> connected to the Internet" but rather a "unique local address
> space which gets connected to other unique local address
> spaces" and IMHO I don't see any implication for NAT there.

If you are only connecting to another ULA network, then why would one
ever need NS entries in ip6.arpa for this space?

The whole story is about having NS entries in the ip6.arpa tree for the
delegation. When you have a delegation in the Internet ip6.arpa tree,
you also need to query them one way or the other and thus you are
connecting your ULA-based network to that Internet.

Also, people will the notice that they can use reverses from the
Internet, at one point or another will also want to use SIP or various
other protocols and thus end up using the Internet, and there are two
ways to do that: NAT it or simply announce the ULA prefix, renumbering
to a PI block is of course not an option here.

As such, what is the 'local' part again, how local is it really? And how
is ULA-C then different from PI? Why bother people with this ULA-C thing
when they really need PI in the first place? Which they can already get
for $100/year from ARIN and which will be guaranteed unique, just like
all other address space from the RIR's.

Greets,
 Jeroen