Christian Huitema wrote:
>> And before you leap into "I'm never going to use the DNS, so whats the
>> problem?" please also note that I'm not saying that putting these
>> addresses into the DNS is good, bad or indifferent.
>
> What about "indifferent"?
>
> Suppose that we pre-populate the ip6.arpa tree with synthetic name
> server records, so that the name server for a given ULA prefix
> <ula-48>::/48 (ULA-C or not) always resolves to <ula-48>::1 (or any
> other suitably chosen anycast host identifier). Then DNS look-up will
> always point to the closest instantiation of that anycast address, or to
> nothing at all if the prefix is not reachable. Voila, DNS look-up
> without any central registration...

I almost proposed that, BUT, that breaks the whole point that some
people are using ::1 or ::53 or whatever magic constant for something
else already. People tend to use the first subnet on their LAN already.
It would indeed 'solve' the problem given here, but only partially as
you still don't have the really important bit: Forward resolving. How is
one magically going to tell where to find microsoft.com? Both have the
same root :(

I once proposed a 'well known anycasted DNS server address', so that we
can always say 2001:db8::53 and 192.0.2.53 are DNS. The 'local' DNS
server is simply the closest one found in the routing tables. ISP's can
then simply route this to their recursive nameservers and presto, no
configuration of that part needed. Unfortunately, only one such root can
exist in a network, if you join two networks you still have to tell both
networks where forward + reverse servers exist.

Greets,
 Jeroen