On 2007-06-27 20:26, Scott Leibrand wrote:
Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Scott, you say

In a situation like this, I need to be able to resolve PTRs for hosts using my neighboring networks' ULA space

Why do you need to do this?

For all the same reasons I need to resolve PTRs of hosts on the Internet. I'm a network engineer, so my main reason for wanting PTRs is for traceroute, but I'm sure anyone running a server serving the neighborhoods would also like to be able to resolve information about the IPs of connecting clients, etc.

The L in ULA means local. If you can *see* your neighbours' ULA prefixes,
they have become local to you, so I agree you will need their AAAA and PRT
records in your local DNS. If you use ULAs this way, you have added scope
boundaries in the DNS that must correspond to the routing scope boundaries
for ULA prefixes.

I don't think anything called Local should be used this way, but that's
an operational choice. It still doesn't mean that global DNS needs to know
anything about these prefixes. RFC 4193 seems correct to me.

     Brian