I would support Paul's proposed changes below, and the resulting draft.

-Scott

Paul Vixie wrote:
these are my comments on the following I-D:

        Title      : Centrally Assigned Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses
        Author(s)  : R. Hinden, B. Haberman
        Filename   : draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-02.txt
        Pages      : 11
        Date       : 2007-6-18

<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-02.txt>

first, in 3.1, this table:

      | 7 bits |1|  40 bits   |  16 bits  |          64 bits           |
      +--------+-+------------+-----------+----------------------------+
      | Prefix |L| Global ID  | Subnet ID |        Interface ID        |
      +--------+-+------------+-----------+----------------------------+

should be replaced with this one:

      | 7 bits |1|  8 bits  | 16 bits | 16 bits | 80 bits  |
      +--------+-+----------+---------+---------+----------+
      | Prefix |L| Reserved | RIR Num | LIR Num | User Num |
      +--------+-+----------+---------+---------+----------+

where "Prefix" and "L" are defined as shown in central-02, and the other
fields are defined as follows:

     Reserved            Set to 0 by all implementors of this specification,
                         but may be set to nonzero by implementors of a later
                         specification.

     RIR Num             Identifiers assigned by IANA for each /16 as
                         allocated to an Regional Internet Address Registry
                         (RIR).  For direct allocations by IANA, the value
                         of zero (0x0000) is reserved.

     LIR Num             Identifiers assigned by RIR for each /32 as
                         allocated to a Local Internet Address Registry (LIR).
                         For direct allocations by an RIR, the value of zero
                         (0x0000) is reserved.

     User Num            Identifier assigned by an end user or network
                         operator who implements this specification.

second, delete all of section 3.2 including subsections 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.2.3.

third, replace section 7.0 with the following:

---

7.0 IANA Considerations

    IANA is hereby instructed to reserve address block FC::/7 for private
unique addresses, and to allocate /32 blocks to Regional Internet Address Registries (RIRs) who request same after adopting policies
    consistent with this specification.  Allocation shall be similar in
    all ways to normal IANA address allocation to RIRs, including but not
    limited to IN-ADDR.ARPA delegations and WHOIS records.

---

Paul Vixie
not speaking for ISC
not speaking for ARIN