At Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:43:34 -0400,
James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >    2.  If the target address matches a unicast address assigned to the
> >        receiving interface, it would possibly indicate that the
> >        address is a duplicate but it has not been detected by the
> >        Duplicate Address Detection procedure (recall that Duplicate
> >        Address Detection is not completely reliable).  How to handle
> >        such a case is beyond the scope of this document, but care
> >        should be taken so that the advertisement will not affect the
> >        normal Neighbor Discovery [RFC4861] processing.
>
> This seems better to me, as it clarifies the scope, though I'm
> somewhat unclear on what the last clause actually implies.
>
> How should an implementor actually take care here?  Are you perhaps
> referring to the possibility of endless NA battles between a pair of
> misconfigured systems?  Or something else?

I intended, for example, that implementations should not affect their
neighbor caches as a result of processing the NA "as described in
[RFC4861=2461bis]".  I thought a naive implementation may be confused
by the received NA and modify the link-layer address information of
its own address (realized as a special type of neighbor cache).

> I might have worded it something like this:
>
>       How to handle such a case is beyond the scope of this
>       document, but implementations that take any action other than
>       discarding the message MUST take measures to avoid an infinite
>       series of advertisements triggered by reception of such
>       messages.
>
> Or just:
>
>       How to handle such a case is beyond the scope of this
>       document, and implementations MAY log and discard such
>       messages.

After understanding the proposed text was not really clear, I guess we
should rather be silent and just state:

   2.  If the target address matches a unicast address assigned to the
       receiving interface, it would possibly indicate that the
       address is a duplicate but it has not been detected by the
       Duplicate Address Detection procedure (recall that Duplicate
       Address Detection is not completely reliable).  How to handle
       such a case is beyond the scope of this document.

This is probably enough since this bullet is clearly separated from
bullet #3.  Does this work for you (and others)?

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.