Thank you Bernie.  I appreciate your advice.

When I add an address in my OS, I add a network route according to the
prefix length of the address so I know that other nodes with this same
prefix are on-link.  I don't route based on a source address.  I find a
route for a destination from the routing table based on the destination
address.  If I added a network route for my prefix, and this destination
matches that prefix, then I find that network route.  Otherwise, I find
the default route and use it.  If I receive a redirect, I will create a
host route for that destination.  If I had been able to add a network
route, I never would have received that redirect and would be saving
memory by not adding the host route.  Can you tell I work on embedded
systems?  I am very stingy with memory!

I will not have a route for a prefix if I do not have an address
assigned to a local interface containing based on that prefix.  If an
address associated with a prefix is deleted, so is the route.

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice.  I am glad to see such
passion for IPv6 and support of people in need.

I just want to voice my opinion that I feel a DHCPv6 prefix length
option and default router option would be useful.

Best Regards,
Tammy