On 13-aug-2007, at 19:25, Bernie Volz ((volz)) wrote:

DHCPv6 messages are generally small and don't require a lot of back and
further. I really don't understand why people are objecting to one or
two request/reply exchanges (only the request of which is multicast).
Sure, it be nice if there were zero messages, but we're basically down
to as few as possible and most of these messages are tiny (especially
compared to the 300+ bytes that is the minimal size of DHCPv4 messages).

It adds up if you have a large number of hosts on a subnet.

Which got me thinking: wouldn't it be great if a single message from a host could serve as both a router solicitation and a DHCP solicit message?