From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 10:00 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: prefix length determination for DHCPv6

> A fixed length network portion is also simpler and easier to
> administer and operate if you have the opportunity, which is
> why I'm an advocate for /48s for nearly everybody. Leaving
> the problems of dealing with the complexity of variable
> length prefixes to the expert employees of the network
> service providers, not their customers, makes good sense to me.
> Again, I think people who've worked with Novell IPX or
> Appletalk would also agree.

Then you need to get involved in setting RIR policy because this concept
of the fixed /48 network size is already starting to disappear. Nobody
from the IETF was available to explain why the designers of IPv6
intended for /48 to be the fixed length network size when ARIN passed a
policy to allow ISPs to allocate /56s to consumer customers. Even though
the ARIN decision was not a bad one, unless better understanding of the
IPv6 design is communicated, then the /48 boundary will fade away and
everyone will have to renumber their networks when they change
providers.

--Michael Dillon