From: Iljitsch van Beijnum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:42 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: JINMEI Tatuya / ????; David W. Hankins; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Re: prefix length determination for DHCPv6

On 16-aug-2007, at 21:35, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

> RA supports all
> of prefix information and on-link determination, so why have DHCPv6
> duplicate that functionality?

That's not the discussion we were having. The discussion we were having
(or at least, _I_ was having) was whether it's a good idea to have a
prefix LENGTH go along with the IPv6 address if a DHCPv6 server assigns
an IPv6 address to a host.

In my opinion, the answer is "of course" because otherwise life gets
quite complex, but apparently there are people who like that kind of
thing and who feel that an address with an unknown prefix length is
useful.