On 17-aug-2007, at 1:38, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

The problem that I have is that if an address without a prefix length
becomes available, what do I do?

How can that happen with a DHCPv6 host? RA will always precede DHCPv6
transactions because unless the host sees an RA with M bit set the host
will not initiate DHCPv6.

Sure, the information will be there MOST of the time, but it's not hard to come up with ways in which it won't be there.

Such a RA can include a prefix and prefix
length in PIO. If RA doesn't include any PIO, then the host still
initiates DHCPv6, completes DHCPv6 and then sends all non-link-local
traffic to the default router and wait for any Redirects.

And how is this a better way to operate than to have that prefix length in the DHCP message?

Not a thing until someone is going to start USING DHCPv6 address assignment, I'd say.

OK, I deployed DHCPv6 address assignment today.

Well then, what happens if the DHCPv6 server gives out an address and the router doesn't supply prefix information for the prefix that address falls into? I'm not saying this will happen every day, just interested to learn how the implementation that you use handles this.

Start listing show
stopper problems to me. If you feel so strongly about it, put the show
stopper problems in an Internet-Draft document so we have all the issues captured and not have to sift thru zillion emails that could go off to a
tangent.

Sorry, that's too much work. I can write an email message in a few minutes, a draft takes hours of overhead getting all the boilerplate and formatting right and then it takes a week before it's published.

Also, few people tend to read random drafts, so it's not an efficient way to communicate a simple point.