There are other examples of this that have not caused the protocol to be
deprecated. One obvious example would be multicast. Another example is
TELNET. Another is directed broadcast. These continue to be very useful
protocols, at least the first two are, as far as I'm concerned, even
though I wouldn't expect any random ISP node to support them.

If anything, I'd advocate what has to be the easiest solution. Leave RH0
and RFC 2460 as is, turn RH0 off by default, allow ISPs to drop RH0
packets at edges (as they do now for other valid protocols anyway), and
go ahead with RH4 or other better ideas, if there's demand for it.

Bert