Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

I haven't read all your messages on the subject yet, but how do you handle the universal/local bit that's in the 16 bits that you want to reclaim?
The U/L bit is currently being munged on the high bit of the EUI-64, which is the high bit of the OUI part of the MAC-48 address.

The 16 bits I want to reclaim, are in the *middle* of the EUI-64, not at the top end. I want to reclaim the "FFFE" fixed value bits.

EUI-64 format is:
<oui-24>FFFE<24bitsSerial>

MAC-48 format is:
<oui-24><24bitsSerial>

As for U/L bit:

Currently, U/L munges EUI-64:
<[01]ui-24>FFFE<24bitsSerial>

What I'm proposing for II is:
<optional padding><oui-24><24bitsSerial>

which then gets munged by:
<[01]ptional padding><oui-24><24bitsSerial> (or <[01]ui-24><24bitsSerial> if no padding exists).

So, in the /80 case, the top bit of OUI gets set to 0 or 1 regardless of what it was before, *exactly* like it does in the /64 for EUI-64 use. (The fact that OUI-24 happens to not need the top bit to disambiguate between OUIs, is as far as I can tell, a happy coincidence rather than part of the IEEE spec.)

Brian