At 17:21 -0700 2007/09/17, Fred Baker wrote:
I'm not quite sure what point you're making.

If it's the size of the network part or the host part of an IPv6 address, as I recall the logic, the original stated requirement was that an ipng address should be able to represent 10^12 networks (42 bits) and 10^15 hosts (52 bits). Considering the H ratio and the way the network and host part of an IPv4 address was/is used, one could have imagined an address that set aside 43 or more bits for the host part and 11 or more bits for the host part. That was the basis for SIP's 64 bit address.

Somewhere along the way, it was decided that a 128 bit address was more appropriate - if 32 bits isn't enough for all uses for all time, who says 64 is? Long story there that I wasn't a party to. But OK, it became 128 bits, and someone started talking about maybe using the MAC address in the host part. Someone noted that not all MAC addresses were 48 bits; for example, an E.164 address (a telephone number by any other name) when represented as BCD digits might easily be 16 digits, and some 802 series addresses are 64 bits. So it was suggested that 64 bits be set aside for the host part.

And this is where they went seriously wrong as did CLNP.

By the early 80s, we had figured out that the obvious approach of using the lower layer address in the higher layer protocol is seriously flawed. That approach is equivalent to creating a *pathname* as in Operating Systems. (It works in OSs, because there *is* only one way to get any where, but doesn't work in networks, except for SNA, because, well, they are networks.)

The address is suppose to be route independent, specifying "where" without constraining "how to get there." This does the opposite and merely compounds the error made with the original IMP addressing that we are still living with. This is why we are having and will continue to have so much trouble with multihoming, mobility, scaling and a host of other problems.

IPv6 crawled into this hole a long time ago. It is a little late to be trying to crawl out. Time to move on.

Take care,
John