From: Hesham Soliman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:32 PM
To: Ralph Droms (rdroms); Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: 'Erik Nordmark'; 'IPV6 List Mailing'; 'Suresh Krishnan'
Subject: RE: Off-link and on-link

 > To give a little more detail to that implementation bug, it  > seems
the  > host implementation inferred an on-link prefix from an address  >
assigned through DHCPv6.  We believe the implementation  > carried over
> IPv4 behavior, in which it's common to pass on-link prefix  >
information  > to a host as a side effect of address assignment to
interfaces.  In  > IPv6, of course, RAs provide an explicit path for
announcing prefix  > information, so no prefix state should be inferred
from address  > assignment.

=> Exactly. This makes sense, and it's good to highlight that to
implementations, I just don't think this behaviour is a result of
correct reading of the spec.

 > In my opinion, the "no PIO" case is adequately described in  > RFC
4861,  > as the host has no information about on-link status of a prefix
if  > there is no PIO for that prefix.  Therefore, the host should  >
send any  > outbound traffic to an address from a prefix for which the
host has  > not received a PIO to the default router.

=> Agreed. That's the default behaviour.

Hesham

 > - Ralph
 >

 > On Dec 5, 2007, at Dec 5, 2007,4:05 PM, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:
 >
 > > Erik,
 > >
 > > As I said in the presentation, let's forget the  > aggregation
router.
 > > The
 > > host implementation bug we found is reproduced in an Ethernet LAN
> > network too. An RA from the router was sent where RA was  > NOT
signaling  > > on-link and the host still behaved as on-link for traffic
> forwarding.
 > > The RA we used was an RA that did not send any PIO (Prefix  >
Information  > > Option). BTW, such a case (RA with no PIO) is not even
> covered by the  > > definition of on- and off-link in section 2.1 of
RFC 4861,  > especially  > > since section 2.1 goes to so much copious
details to  > describe on-link.

 > > I was looking for a Turing machine to signal off-link.
 > >
 > > Hemant

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 12:29 PM  > > To: Hemant Singh (shemant)  >
on-link  > >  > > Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:
 > >> Suresh,
 > >>
 > >> At least our drafts do not ask for a new off-link flag.
 > Without a new
 > >> off-link flag your scenario will have to go with (a). But do note,
> >> aggregation routers do not send Redirects. So the scenario below  >
>> cannot be even supported on aggregation routers.
 > >
 > > Which RFC defines an "aggregation router"?
 > >
 > >    Erik
 > >

 > >> Hemant

ipv6@ietf.org  > >> Subject: Off-link and on-link  > >>  > >> Hi
Hesham/Dave/Erik,  > >>  I am not taking a stand on whether an explicit
off-link flag is  > >> necessary/useful or not, but I have encountered a
> scenario where the  > >> existing algorithm specified in RFC4861 does
not work very well.
 > >> Let's
 > >
 > >> say a router wants to signal to the clients that  >
2001:dead:beef::/48  > >> is on-link except for 2001:dead:beef:abcd::/64
that is  > off-link. How  > >> would it go about describing this? I see
two ways  > >>  > >> a) Advertise the /48 with L=0 and send redirects
for all  > addresses  > >> not  > >  > >> on the /64  > >> b) Advertise
the /48 with L=1 and the /64 with Q(the new off-link  > >> flag)=0  > >>
> >> I see b) as being more efficient than a)  > >>  > >> P.S: I do not
think that this scenario is very likely,  > just possible.