* if the host has received an RA containing a PIO with L=0, it
   adds that prefix to its prefix list; when sending a datagram to

I think you meant L=1 as the text in 6.3.4. Processing Received Router
Advertisements only gives explicit instructions to the host for PIOs
where L=1. It has NO instructions as to what the host does with a PIO
with L=0. So, one would assume that they are ignored (and thus fairly
useless to be sent by a router at least in terms of
on-link/not-on-link).

In section 5.2, the text is very clear as to what a host does:

   Next-hop determination for a given unicast destination operates as
   follows.  The sender performs a longest prefix match against the
   Prefix List to determine whether the packet's destination is on- or
   off-link.  If the destination is on-link, the next-hop address is the
   same as the packet's destination address.  Otherwise, the sender
   selects a router from the Default Router List (following the rules
   described in Section 6.3.6).

Here this "longest prefix match" means that the PIO w/L=0 would not be
on the Prefix List (per the 6.3.4 text which lacks any instructions
about doing anything with these PIOs) and hence if there wasn't another
match, the prefix would be assumed as being "off-link".

And, RFC 4861 also clearly defines that the "Prefix List" only contains
on-link prefixes:

      Prefix List  - A list of the prefixes that define a set of
                     addresses that are on-link.  Prefix List entries
                     are created from information received in Router
                     Advertisements.  ...

This is actually very interesting as it clearly implies that PIO w/L=0
are ignored (in terms of the Prefix List). And, if the PIO has L=0 and
A=0 (considering RFC 4861 & 4862), the router is just wasting network
bandwidth and host processing time by sending that PIO.

- Bernie