> I totally appreciate Alain's concern for cable modem devices
> with limited memory for IPv6 but the problem is that IPv6
> community decided as far back as 1998 with RFC 2401 that
> IPSec is mandatory for IPv6.

The events of 1998 are irrelevant. The fact is that this website
<http://www.ipv6ready.org/about_phase2_test.html>
clearly does not consider IPsec to be part of the IPv6 core protocols
and therefore lots of implementations will not have it.

Cable boxes are not much different from general purpose computers
running Linux. In fact, they may use Linux for all I know. In any
case, they are complex devices and if you looked at an architecture
diagram for them they would like rather like a network in a box
with many functions on separate chips (or areas of an FPGA) all
communicating with various internal protocols and busses.

But IPv6 is not just for devices like that. It was also intended
to be something that could be implemented on embedded devices
that often use 8-bit CPUs with the IP stack written in carefully
handcoded assembly language. TINI is an example of such a device
but there are hundreds of them out there and manufacturers continue
to introduce new 8-bit microcontrollers all the time.

If you have any contacts with Yokogawa in Japan, they have a lot
of experience in this area and will be able to give a better idea
of how common it is to implement IPv6 without IPsec. WIDE people
may also know more about this.

--Michael Dillon